JNTUA R20 B.tech Applied Physics Syllabus 2021October 6, 2021 2021-10-13 23:50
JNTUA R20 B.tech Applied Physics Syllabus 2021
JNTUA R20 B.tech Applied Physics Syllabus 2021
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus along with Course Objectives and Course outcome and list of textbook and reference books is mentioned in this blog. The subject of Applied Physics has 5 units in total. Topic and sub-topics of Applied Physics are mentioned below in detail. If you have any problem in understanding Applied Physics any other Engineering Subject in any semester or in any year then you can view the video lectures on the official CynoHub app.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Unit 1
Interference– Principle of superposition – Interference of light – Conditions for sustained interference
– Interference in thin films (Reflection Geometry) – Colors in thin films – Newton’s Rings –
Determination of wavelength and refractive index.
Diffraction– Introduction – Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction – Fraunhofer diffraction due to single
slit, double slit and N–slits (qualitative) – Grating spectrum.
Polarization– Introduction – Types of polarization – Polarization by reflection, refraction and double
refraction – Nicol’s Prism – Half wave and Quarter wave plates with applications.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Unit 2
Lasers and Fiber optics
Lasers– Introduction – Characteristics of laser – Spontaneous and Stimulated emission of radiation –
Einstein’s coefficients – Population inversion – Lasing action – Pumping mechanisms – Nd–YAG
laser – He–Ne laser – Applications of lasers.
Fiber optics– Introduction – Principle of optical fiber – Acceptance Angle – Numerical Aperture –
Classification of optical fibers based on refractive index profile and modes – Propagation of
electromagnetic wave through optical fibers – Propagation Losses (qualitative) – Applications.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Unit 3
Dielectric and Magnetic Materials
Dielectric Materials– Introduction – Dielectric polarization – Dielectric polarizability, Susceptibility
and Dielectric constant – Types of polarizations: Electronic, Ionic and Orientation polarizations
(Qualitative) – Lorentz internal field – Clausius–Mossotti equation.
Magnetic Materials– Introduction – Magnetic dipole moment – Magnetization – Magnetic
susceptibility and Permeability – Origin of permanent magnetic moment – Classification of magnetic
materials: Dia, para & Ferro–Domain concept of Ferromagnetism (Qualitative) – Hysteresis – Soft and
Hard magnetic materials.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Unit 4
Quantum Mechanics Free Electron Theory and Band theory of Solids
equation – Significance of wave function – Particle in a one–dimensional infinite potential well.
Dirac distribution – Density of states – Fermi energy.
Band theory of Solids– Bloch’s Theorem (Qualitative) – Kronig–Penney model (Qualitative) – E vs K
diagram – Classification of crystalline solids – Effective mass of electron – m* vs K diagram –
Concept of hole.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Unit 5
Semiconductors and Superconductors
Semiconductors– Introduction – Intrinsic semiconductors – Density of charge carriers – Electrical
conductivity – Fermi level – Extrinsic semiconductors – Density of charge carriers – Dependence of
Fermi energy on carrier concentration and temperature – Drift and diffusion currents – Einstein’s
equation – Direct and indirect band gap semiconductors – Hall effect – Hall coefficient – Applications
of Hall effect.
Superconductors– Introduction – Properties of superconductors – Meissner effect – Type I and Type
II superconductors – BCS theory – Josephson effects (AC and DC) – High Tc superconductors –
Applications of superconductors.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Course Objectives
- To make a bridge between the physics in school and engineering courses.
- To identify the importance of the optical phenomenon i.e. interference, diffraction and
polarization related to its Engineering applications
- To understand the mechanisms of emission of light, the use of lasers as light sources
for low and high energy applications, study of propagation of light wave through
optical fibres along with engineering applications.
- To explain the significant concepts of dielectric and magnetic materials that leads to
potential applications in the emerging micro devices.
- To enlighten the concepts of Quantum Mechanics and to provide fundamentals of
de’Broglie waves, quantum mechanical wave equation and its applications, the
importance of free electron theory and band theory of solids.
- Evolution of band theory to distinguish materials, basic concepts and transport
phenomenon of charge carriers in semiconductors. To give an impetus on the subtle
mechanism of superconductors using the concept of BCS theory and their fascinating
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Course Outcomes
At the end of this unit, the student will be able to
- Classify the energy bands of semiconductors (L2)
- Interpret the direct and indirect band gap semiconductors (L2)
- Identify the type of semiconductor using Hall effect
- Identify applications of semiconductors in electronic devices
- Explain how electrical resistivity of solids changes with temperature
- Classify superconductors based on Meissner’s effect
- Explain Meissner’s effect, BCS theory & Josephson effect in superconductors
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus Reference Books
- Engineering Physics – Shatendra Sharma, Jyotsna Sharma, Pearson Education, 2018
- Engineering Physics – K. Thyagarajan, McGraw Hill Publishers
- Engineering Physics – Sanjay D. Jain, D. Sahasrambudhe and Girish, University Press
- Semiconductor physics and devices– Basic principle – Donald A, Neamen, Mc Graw Hill
Scoring Marks in JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus
Scoring good grades in Applied Physics is a difficult task. CynoHub is here to help. We have made a video which will help Engineering Students get rank 1 in their B.tech exams this video will help students to score good grades in Applied Physics. There are many reasons that scoring in Applied Physics exams is difficult so this video will help you to rectify the mistakes students make in exams.
JNTUA B.tech R20 Applied Physics Syllabus was made clear in this article. To know about the syllabus of other Engineering Subjects of JNTUK check out the official CynoHub application. Click below to download the CynoHub application.